This has proven to be the fastest and most effective method of selective basal bark application. Best results are on young, actively growing stems less than 8 cm in diameter.
- Achieving complete “wrap” of the solution around the entire stem circumference is essential for effectiveness.
- Spray 30 to 50 cm above ground level:
- For stems less than 8 cm basal diameter, spray a band 5 cm wide on one side of each stem.
- For stems 8 to 15 cm basal diameter, spray a band 5 cm wide on two sides of each stem (Two-sided Streamline).
- With sufficient volume, the treated zone should widen to encircle the entire stem circumference within 30 minutes.
This method is excellent for prevention of re-sprouting. It also reduces the need for repeated cutting of large diameter stumps of species that sprout from the base or sucker from roots. Applications may be made to both old and freshly cut stumps.
Thoroughly wet the stump, including:
- Cut surfaces, especially the cambium layer just inside the bark.
- The remaining bark to the ground line, including the root collar.