What is Crop Protection Stewardship?
Product Stewardship at Dow AgroSciences is the way we bring responsible and ethical management to our Agricultural Chemicals throughout their life cycle. Life cycle stewardship for our products starts with research and development, and includes manufacture, transport and storage, and extends through integrated pest management, responsible use and eventual disposal of waste, including empty product containers and management of obsolete pesticide stocks.
The overall aim of Dow AgroSciences’ Product Stewardship approach is to maximize the benefits, and minimize any risk to human health or the environment, from using Agricultural Chemical products. In every stage of a product’s development - from design and manufacture, marketing, distribution, use and waste management - our employees are trained to adhere to the global standards set by The Dow Chemical Company and Dow AgroSciences in accordance with country or regional regulations and industry standards, like the American Chemistry Council’s Responsible Care® initiative and the International Code of Conduct on the Distribution and Use of Pesticides from the Food and Agriculture Organization of the United Nations (FAO).
Life cycle product stewardship of Agricultural Chemical products can be broken down into seven interrelated elements:
- Research and Development – Discovering and developing new active ingredients that are biologically efficient, environmentally sound, user friendly and economically viable. Information and data on health, safety and environmental hazards, and on reasonably foreseeable exposures, from new and existing products is established and maintained. This enables risk characterization and development of appropriate risk management strategies.
- Manufacturing – Products are made taking full account of the safety of people and the environment, using sustainable operating processes wherever possible and applying best practices for Product Integrity and Quality.
- Storage, Transport and Distribution – Ensuring that products are stored, transported and distributed safely and appropriately through proper design of facilities, adherence to appropriate regulation and training. Retailers and distributors are also trained and/or certified to ensure selling is done appropriately.
- Integrated Pest Management (IPM) – Development and promotion of IPM programs that incorporate a range of pest prevention and control strategies, including the responsible use of crop protection products.
- Responsible Use – Responsible and effective use of crop protection products is promoted through appropriate advice and training to all users. Responsible Use is an integral part of Integrated Pest Management.
- Container Management – The safe and sustainable management of used containers and packaging, including support of recycling and reuse programs.
- Obsolete Stocks – The safe removal and disposal/destruction of obsolete pesticide stocks, as well as the prevention of build-up of new obsolete stocks through effective training and stock management.
FAO International Code of Conduct on the Distribution and Use of Pesticides
As a member company of CropLife International, a global federation of companies representing the plant science industry, Dow AgroSciences fully supports the Code, adherence to which is a condition of membership of the federation. The Code recognizes, and is mainly aimed at, those countries where good regulation and enforcement systems are not fully developed or currently in place. It is in these areas where the challenges of stewardship are often the greatest. The Code also recognizes that stewardship is not solely the responsibility of industry, but should be supported and promoted by a range of stakeholders. Dow AgroSciences and CropLife International actively seek partnerships with other interested stakeholders to aid this process. Click on the following link for more information on FAO's International Code of Conduct on the Distribution and Use of Pesticides.
The American Chemistry Council’s Responsible Care© Initiative
Product Stewardship is one of the six Codes of Management Practices integral to the American Chemistry Council’s Responsible Care© initiative (Responsible Care®). As a Responsible Care® company, Dow AgroSciences is fully committed to Product Stewardship as a way of approaching
every task we do.
®Responsible Care is a registered servicemark of American Chemistry Council (ACC)
Safely Using Insecticides Containing Chlorpyrifos on Plants – NZ EPA Guidance Document
This document, produced by the NZ EPA provide guidance for people using chlorpyrifos-containing insecticides for plant protection. It incorporates information about both the old and the new rules for using chlorpyrifos and provides guidance on protecting your health, the health of others and the environment. If you have any questions, please refer to your product SDS and label or call Dow AgroSciences on 0800 803 939.