Seeds, Traits & Oils
Through breeding and agricultural biotechnology, we continue to be an industry leader in the discovery and development of traits for insect resistance, herbicide tolerance, oil quality, enhanced meal quality, drought tolerance and nitrogen utilization. Our plant biotechnology solutions include diverse and innovative product candidates with market potential around the world.
- We’ve removed more than one billion pounds of saturated and trans fats from North American diets since 2006 with next-generation Omega-9 Canola and Sunflower Oils made from our Nexera® Canola and Sunflower seeds. Numerous restaurants and companies in the foodservice and food manufacturing industries are switching to these alternatives, which are not only healthier, but have superior cooking performance and no affect on how food tastes.
- Growers maximize yield potential using our SmartStax® hybrids. These products reduce refuge requirements from 20 percent to 5 percent in the U.S. Corn Belt and from 50 percent to 20 percent in cotton-growing regions. SmartStax insect trait technology delivers multiple modes of action for the broadest spectrum of insect control available, using our own proprietary rootworm protection and taking advantage of our culture of collaboration to work with Monsanto to create the best solution for insect resistance management.
- Our Refuge Advanced® powered by SmartStax is a convenient, single-bag solution for refuge compliance. No separate refuge is required in the Corn Belt1 because the refuge is in the bag.
- Corn pests can significantly reduce productivity, and POWERCORE™ is highly effective against the most devastating of these insects. It uses a five-gene trait stack technology to provide broad-spectrum above-ground insect and weed control targeted to the Latin American market, using multiple modes of action from multiple genes to support this particular geography.
- Approximately 85 percent of U.S. growers currently have or expect to have weed resistance issues, and the global impact is also increasing. The Enlist™ Weed Control System will partner with – and improve on – the glyphosate-tolerant system to provide more effective control of resistant weeds to help growers farm more efficiently. Components of the Enlist™ Weed Control System are undergoing regulatory review; approvals are pending. Dow AgroSciences expects the first sale of Enlist corn later in 2013 for planting in the 2014 crop year. We anticipate regulatory approvals for Enlist soybeans and Enlist E3™ soybeans for the 2015 crop year with Enlist cotton to follow.
TM Components of the Enlist Weed Control System have not yet received regulatory approvals; approvals are pending. The information provided here is not an offer for sale.
SmartStax® multi-event technology developed by Dow AgroSciences and Monsanto.
® Refuge Advanced is a trademark of Dow AgroSciences LLC. SmartStax is a registered trademark of Monsanto Technology LLC. Always follow IRM, grain marketing and all other stewardship practices and pesticide label directions. B.t. products may not yet be registered in all states.Check with your seed representative for the registration status in your state.
The multi-event technology POWERCORE™ was developed by Monsanto and Dow AgroSciences LLC. POWERCORE™ is a trademark of Monsanto Technology LLC
™Nexera is a trademark of Dow AgroSciences LLC
1 In cotton-growing regions, a separate 20% structured refuge is still required for Refuge Advanced.
A cornerstone of our business, the crop protection pipeline at Dow AgroSciences continues to advance innovation into the marketplace:
- We launched five significant active ingredients between 2008 and 2012.
- New herbicides aminopyralid, pyroxsulam and penoxsulam add value both as single-entity products and as mixing partners. For example, our Milestone® specialty herbicide, based on our aminopyralid active ingredient, lets highway and utility maintenance crews selectively control weed and brush with a product that has a positive environmental profile.
- New insecticide spinetoram supports high-value market segments, and our sulfoxaflor SAP-feeding insecticide, when commercially launched, will address needs currently unmet by biotechnology solutions.
- An important aspect of our philosophy of stewardship is that we constantly seek ways to extend the life of existing products by meeting customers’ needs for greener, easier-to-use formulations. For instance, Instinct® Nitrogen Stabilizer is a new liquid formulation of nitrapyrin that can be conveniently tank-mixed with fertilizer, herbicides and insecticides, which lowers fuel costs by allowing growers to make fewer trips across their acreage. In addition, after three decades of testing, the active ingredient in Instinct yielded a 16 percent reduction in nitrate leaching and a 44 to 51 percent reduction in greenhouse gas emissions. All of this results in healthier corn and consistently higher yield potential, while supporting environmentally beneficial farming practices.
- Our AgroFresh products focus on keeping food fresh from the field to the table. In 2012, we’ll introduce RipeLock™, using our SmartFresh™ technology and Dow atmospheric packaging to keep bananas at their peak ripeness for seven to nine days.
- The Sentricon® Termite Colony Elimination System provides worry-free termite protection using Always Active™ technology. This revolutionary system uses a unique, durable bait matrix to protect homes and even some of the world’s most well-known historic structures, including the Statue of Liberty, the White House, the U.S. Congress building, Champs-Elysées and the Parliament Building in England.
™SmartFresh and RipeLock are trademarks of AgroFresh Inc.
®™Sentricon and Always Active is a trademark of Dow AgroSciences LLC
®™Milestone and Instinct are trademarks of Dow AgroSciences LLC
Learn more about Dow AgroSciences’ products and solutions.