We recognize and fully appreciate the unique scientific, philosophical and ethical implications of biotechnology. At Dow AgroSciences, we have adopted principles to guide decision-making as we apply biological knowledge and techniques to develop products and services for the benefit of our customers, shareholders and society. We will pursue biotechnology in alignment with Responsible Care® and our corporate Values, Code of Business Conduct and Sustainable Development Principles:
The Dow Chemical Company has adopted the following principles to guide its decision-making in applying biological knowledge and techniques to develop products and services for the benefit of our customers, shareholders, and society. We will pursue biotechnology in alignment with Responsible Care and Dow's Values, Code of Business Conduct and Sustainable Development Principles. We recognize that the unique scientific, philosophical and ethical implications of biotechnology must be considered.
- We will actively listen to and dialogue with stakeholders to understand their concerns and to help us progress responsibly.
- We will inform the public about relevant benefits, risks, and potential implications of our biotechnology products and processes, and encourage others to do the same.
- We will participate in outreach efforts and explore opportunities to make the benefits of biotechnology available to developing countries and will respect the rights of indigenous people to have access to local germplasm.
- We will promote research on the potential benefits and safety of our biotechnology products and services for humans, animals, and the ecosystem.
- We will support the development and implementation of internationally harmonized approaches to biotechnology safety analysis and promote the creation of a predictable and scientifically sound regulatory framework to reduce scientific uncertainty, manage potential risks, and assure public confidence.
- We will apply our established corporate Environmental, Health & Safety Risk Review Process, which includes a thorough consideration of the impact on humans, animals, the environment, and society, throughout the lifecycle of all our biotechnology products and services and will take appropriate corrective actions.
- We will support the patentability of inventions as determined by the applicable laws of the countries in which we do business and will respect the intellectual property rights of others and not knowingly infringe upon valid patents.
- We will support the conservation of biological diversity and the sustainable use of biological resources.
- We will promote these principles throughout the industry and value chain.
®Responsible Care is a registered Service Mark of the American Chemistry Council, Inc.