Our Achievements in Agriculture
In 2016, Dow AgroSciences Research and Development was the recipient of several prestigious awards, including:
R&D 100 Award
Paradigm™ WG with Arylex™ Active was named a recipient of the 2016 R&D 100 Award. The R&D 100 Awards celebrate the top 100 technology products each year. Paradigm herbicide provides advanced post-emergence control of a broad spectrum of troublesome broadleaf weeds. The product, designed for use in cereal crops, combines two active ingredients, Arylex active and florasulam, in a WG premix formulation.
The Agrow Awards recognize the premier players in the agricultural industry from around the globe. In 2016, Dow AgroSciences won four awards, more than any other company.
- Resicore™ herbicide received the Best Formulation Innovation
- Auto-stackable square PET bottles received Best Packaging Innovation
- Agsafe training program received Best Stewardship Program
- Partnership with Viamet Pharmaceutical received Best Industry Collaboration
Dow AgroSciences was also a finalist in three other categories including: Arylex™ for Best New Crop Protection or Trait; Enlist™ Ahead for Best Stewardship Program; and our Science Ambassadors for Best Public Outreach Program.
U.S. EPA Presidential Green Chemistry Challenge Award
Dow AgroSciences has four U.S. EPA Presidential Green Chemistry Challenge awards, which promote the environmental and economic benefits of developing and using novel green chemistry. These prestigious annual awards recognize chemical technologies that incorporate the principles of green chemistry into chemical design, manufacture, and use.
2016 - Instinct® nitrogen stabilizer.
- Instinct® nitrogen stabilizer is proven to keep nitrogen in the root zone, enabling optimum yield potential, while protecting the environment.
- Instinct® reduces leaching of nitrates to ground and surface waters.
- Additionally, Instinct® limits the atmospheric nitrous oxide emissions that can occur due to a soil denitrification process, keeping applied nitrogen in the root zone of plants and limiting greenhouse gas emissions.
2008 – Spinetoram Semi-Synthetic Insecticide
2000 – Sentricon™ Termite Colony Elimination System
- Retains the favorable environmental benefits of spinosad while replacing organophosphate pesticides for tree fruits, nuts, small fruits and vegetables
- Significantly safer toxicological profile reduces risk, with up to 1,000 times lower toxicity than several convention alternatives
- Lower environmental impact than current insecticides due to its use rate, with low toxicity to many non-target species
- Less persistent in the environment
- Applies specific bait only to the location where termites are active
- Reduces the risk of impact on human health for 1.5 million homeowners who experience termite problems
- Replaces widespread application of pesticides in the soil around houses and buildings
- Reduces the use of hazardous materials
1999 – Spinosad
- Highly selective insecticide made by a soil microorganism that controls chewing insect pests in cotton, trees, fruits, vegetables, turf and ornamentals
- Meets stricter regulatory standards
- Low toxicity to mammals and birds
- No bioaccumulations, leaching into groundwater or chemical persistence in the environment
- Degrades in sunlight
1998 – Confirm® Insecticide
- Active ingredient mimics the natural substance that controls molting in caterpillar pests for turf and a variety of crops
- Poses no significant hazard to farm workers or the food chain and does not present a significant spill hazard
- Less toxic than many other insecticides to birds, mammals, earthworms, plants and aquatic organisms
In 2016, Dow AgroSciences employees were granted 143 patents.